Saturday, June 18, 2011

Week 2 Day 1

It was "HOT" on the run this morning. Wowser! Alarm went off at 4:45 a.m. to give me time to get myself together for today's run. I NEVER thought I would be up this early on a Saturday to run.

I've been doing some reading about running and came across a interesting article on a blog I follow (got to give credit where credit is due, the blog is hilarious!) http://thebitchyrunners.blogspot.com , The article is about dew point from a July/August Running Magazine.

"Dew point is the temperature at which water condenses. The closer the dew point is to the air temperature, the more saturated the air is and the less perspiration can evaporate and help the body cool itself, resulting in extra stress on the heart and lungs as the body attempts unsuccessfully to cool itself. Accordingly, the dew point provides a strong indicator of how you'll feel running and a useful tool in predicting how much performance will be impacted."

It also had the following table to use as a guide:

At 5:30 a.m. the temperature was 80 degrees. Guess what the dew point was this morning? It was 73 degrees. According to the chart it says "expect pace to suffer greatly". I'm happy to report on the 4 mile run I managed to average a 12:18 pace. We did walk a couple times because it felt so hot and humid. I'm thankful there was a nice breeze that came through.

After the run we stretched and headed into Luke's to hear about Injury Prevention by James Lewis with http://vistarehab.com/asc/index.html.


It was a great morning and ready to tackle week 2!

0 comments:

What am I listening to?


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones